[pct-l] hyperextended knees

Nathan Miller erccmacfitheal at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 17 10:19:56 CDT 2010

> Doc suggested 15 minutes of hills on the bike? as hard as I
> can and 10 hamstring pulls as heavy as I can, once a day..
> ?But hiking is endurance, shouldnt I be doing low weights
> and many repititions? Thinking of getting a second opinion.
> Hiked last year with cortisone injections which are
> wonderful short term, but trying to avoid it for this year.
> Any insight helpful... thanks

Muscles have two types of fibers:  fast-twitch and slow-twitch.  Fast-twitch are used for high-intensity, vigorous, fast motions such as jumping and sprinting; slow-twitch for just the opposite, like walking and most other low-intensity activities.  Generally, heavy-weight lifting uses fast-twitch fibers more and hiking uses slow-twitch more.  That said, developing strong muscles and tendons, even if your exercises emphasize fast-twitch fibers, will be good for joint stability and will decrease the risk of injury on and off the trail.

-Nate the Trail Zombie

When you know where the trail goes,
It doesn't matter if you're fast or slow!