[pct-l] Washing Clothes on the Trail

Brian McLaughlin brianmclaugh at comcast.net
Sun Apr 18 11:15:30 CDT 2010

Edward,

A solar shower is not required to avoid being stinky. When I am
hiking I try to wash every day. Somehow or other I have
managed this feat for three decades without once resorting to
a solar shower. I do take a washcloth. It helps a lot. I
hike alone mostly, so there's no one to smell me most of the
time. This helps even more!

I can't match your hiking during the 50s or 60s. I only started
backpacking in 1970 -- although my parents took me day
hiking all through the 1960s. I can well recall carrying more than
60 pounds back then, when I was young, foolish and intrepid,
too. I carried 65 pounds, when I only weighed 130 lbs
soaking wet, when I went 3 weeks without resupply on the
PCT here in Oregon in 1972.  No solar shower in those
65 lbs., though.

By the way, if I were you, I wouldn't start talking about who
is being "soft", when you can't seem to do without the
"convenience of gravity-fed warm running water from a spigot
right at your campsite". Or do you really want to argue that
 it's all about imposing a hardship on yourself? (grins)

Happy hiking!