[pct-l] Just joined initial query - costs

-Mountain Goat- themtgoat at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 19 14:13:42 CDT 2010

I did it for around $2500 in 2005, If you got $6000, you could have all new equipment, and probably have no problems. I suspect $3000-$4000 is probably more average...

-Mountain Goat-
PCT 2005

Gary Wright
    gwtmp01 at mac.com

On Apr 16, 2010, at 5:13 AM, Roger wrote:

> I am in the UK and am planning to do the trail Jan next year. I am searching
> for an estimate for costs and have see $6000 quoted. Is this realistic
> (excluding getting there of course!)?

$6000 sounds a bit high to me.

I think the most variable cost on a thru-hike is what you spend in town.  Most
people will spend similar amounts for trail-food and gear but in-town spending
varies widely.

Some cost saving strategies:
  -- minimize hotel stays in town
  -- share hotel rooms when possible
  -- skip towns (longer resupplies)
  -- share washer/dryer costs
  -- in-and-out: don't stay overnight in town
  -- stay in campgrounds in town

You can save money by staying with trail angels but I think it is important to leave an appropriate donation for rides, shelter, laundry, food, and so on.

Radar