[pct-l] How do you tell a "Homeless Bum" from "Hiker Trash"???

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Sun Apr 18 16:34:38 CDT 2010

Say gang,
How do you tell a "Homeless Bum" from "Hiker Trash"?

The other day I saw what I thought was a real grubby looking homeless
bum at a McDonalds, so I bought  an extra hamburger for him.
After giving him the burger I noticed he was wearing a real modern
hi-tech, internal frame pack with all the bells and whistels.
Afterwards I started thinking, was that a homeless bum or was it a hiker?
Everybody knows that after a few days on the trail it is hard to
distinguish a bum from a grubby hiker.

So  "HOW"  do you tell a homeless bum from a scuzzy, grubby, on the
trail to long, homeless hiker???

It appears that homeless bums are cleaner,better dressed and less
malnourished than scuzzy, grubby, on the trail to long, homeless hikers.

JMT Reinhold
Your snappy looking trail companion