[pct-l] Using the Ursack without the aluminum

gwschenk at socal.rr.com gwschenk at socal.rr.com
Thu Apr 22 13:26:00 CDT 2010

---- Matt Thyer <matt_thyer at hotmail.com> wrote:

> On another note, I'm looking at pile of email from people saying that Ursack
> is no longer compliant with regulations regarding bear protection yet cannot
> find (even on the NPS site) any reference to those regulations.   Rules in
> this case are appearing to me very arbitrary and the standard for tested
> compliance is illusory as best as I can tell.

IMHO, the rules are not arbitrary. The bears in the parks are smart, resourceful and determined. The only thing that will protect your food, the bear and you is a bear canister, bear locker or sheer dumb luck. The Ursack doesn't do its intended job in places like national parks. Maybe the bear won't get your food in a Ursack, but you'll be stuck with a wad of bear slobbered muck.

Outside of the parks it is an unnecessary expense as simple and cheap nylon stuff sacks will do the same job of containing your food.

That's my experience, anyway. YMMV.

Gary