[pct-l] Using the Ursack without the aluminum

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Thu Apr 22 13:55:30 CDT 2010

Just a thought here - an opinion...  I don't think using a stuff sack
and hanging food where it's legal is necessarily careless.  Bears are
hunted everywhere in California and Oregon and WAshington there isn't a
national or state park.  They avoid humans for the most part.  Sure
there are the "shoulder" areas where bears are more acclimated to
humans.  There are things you can do.

If you camp where everyone camps, and you can tell, then you are more
than less careless.  If you camp right next to the trail you are more
than less careless.  Only 100 yards away from the trail is a good
buffer.  If you eat where you camp you're being careless in regards to
bears.

Just some thoughts.  I understand what Bob is saying, but understand
"being-careless" a little differently.

Jeffrey Olson
Martin, SD