[pct-l] Bears...Deodorant & Mothballs

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Tue Apr 20 06:33:17 CDT 2010

Yes,
MendoRider is right.
I have used mothballs for many years when I hike with friends or the
Scouts and they work.
The bears seem to stay away from the campers with the mothball odor and
go after the campers with the cosmetic odors and the food odors instead.
I have been accused, on this list, that all I'm doing is sicking the
bears on the other campers.
I say  "Better Them Than Me".....besides, everybody is responsible for
their own bear precaution.
I use pieces of stockings (they allow the odor to escape freely) to
attach a mothball or two to my pack, bear bag or whatever and place a
few loose ones around my tent or sleeping bag.
In the morning I place all the mothballs in a zip lock and put the bag
in my sleeping bag.
Gives the bag a slight mothball odor, and me also, to keep the bears
away and mask that on the trail to long hiker odor.
The slight mothball odor is less offensive than the on the trail to long
hiker odor and makes the other hiker dudes wonder why all the hiker
babes hang around me, instead of them.

So, if you girls get tired of your smelly boyfriends, come and see me,
JMT Reinhold with the mothball odor.

I do not, however, use mothballs when I go  "STEALTH"  on my solo "JMT
Fast Packs"  for the simple reason that the mothball oder may give away
my position and defeat the "STEALTH"  prime objective of staying undetected.

JMT Reinhold
You Western USA mothball distributor