[pct-l] False Advertising from Western Mountaineering

Bill Burge bill at burge.com
Wed Apr 28 14:12:24 CDT 2010

Say it ain't so!

At the KO, I bought a WM Flight jacket from the A16 guys.  It is much
warmer than the Marmot down sweater I was wearing, though to be fair,
the Marmot was doing a good job for it's size.

So I'm mulling over in my head, when would I carry the WM instead of
the smaller Marmot sweater?  How much space do I lose in my pack and
what is the weight "hit"?

So I check the respective websites and the WM site says the average
weight for the Flight jacket is 10.5oz and the Marmot site says the
down sweater weighs...  ???  No weight listed?  Dang!  Gotta get out
the scale...

I toss the WM Flight jacket on the scale and it's 12oz!  12 !?! that's
NOT 10.5!  So I toss the Marmot on the scale and it's (drumroll....)
14oz!  WHAT?!?!  Did I hit my head on something?  Is all the "puff" in
that jacket HELIUM?  So now, I have to carry this personal toaster-
oven to SAVE weight!

And don't get me started on the Alpenlite sleeping bag!  THEY say it's
supposed to be a 30 degree bag and I've had to ventilate the dang
thing at temps down to almost 20 degrees!

Will this pattern of misrepresentation ever CEASE?!?!  I hope not.

Thank God they have a limited product line, I'm going broke enjoying
this ridiculously amazing gear.  All I had to do was "pet" the Flight
jacket and I knew I had to have one.  (It almost purrrrrrsss....)

I wonder what the down pants feel like...   Hmmmm....

BillB