[pct-l] bear cans and smellables

AsABat asabat at 4jeffrey.net
Wed Apr 28 22:08:09 CDT 2010

I've had multiple bear encounters - none recently - including one that
resulted in a hungry walk out the next morning.

I will say I've seen them walk past my Garcia canisters, not sure if any
bears have seen my Bear Vault. Counterbalancing a food bag from a tree did
result in a bear spending an hour in the tree eating all my food. Another
trip one of my partners left some leftover food in his pack (he called it
"trash") which the bear was munching on. The bear had smelled all the packs
and canisters (proof was the bear drool on everything) but only got the
"trash" bag.

Then remember a mutual friend who always slept using his pack as a pillow,
until one night when a bear grabbed it out from under him at 1 in the
morning and ate all his food.

AsABat