[pct-l] Testing of Bear Cannisters / URSACK

Ken Murray kmurray at pol.net
Wed Apr 28 22:20:06 CDT 2010

Do you REALLY want to be citing "Paghat the Ratgirl" as your authority on engineering?  :)

Actually, in my profession, what you are doing is "concrete thinking".  In fact, what I meant, and which was understood by the person to whom I was responding, is that engineering cannot describe everything, at all times.  There are things which evade understanding or description, and it therefore does not leave the totally accurate and complete description of everything, at all times, to engineering.

As this other website says:
http://www.ftexploring.com/askdrg/askdrgalapagos.html

"Conventional aerodymic analysis methods simply don't apply to insect wings.
Big deal! It doesn't mean bees can't fly, or that engineers say they can't fly. It just means that insect flight is very complicated and, even with computers, our fluid dynamic modeling techniques aren't yet able to quite handle such a complicated problem. Then there's the problem of verification. If you can't measure the pressures and velocities around a wing, how can you verify your calculations?"

"Ahem.  Wrong about the bee thing.  Its an old urban legend.  http://www.paghat.com/beeflight.html"