[pct-l] iPhone, Droid, etc.

Robert Snook verdick at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 12:29:50 CDT 2010

> My advice is to leave them both home and bring a phone that is only a

phone and nothing more. Do yourself a favor and disconnect. Have a

completely unmitigated experience of the trail and trail culture and

trail magic and serendipity. Go with the flow. xperience all of it in

the raw without the safety net of a computer screen.

I know everyone will have a ton of reasons why that is a stupid

suggestion ranging from the ease of use of having one device that

does it all to any number of other conveniences and preferences.

Don't tell them to me. I'm offering up my own experience as a

suggestion. Do what YOU think is right.

I agree.  Getting out there while not being "connected" made me feel much
more connected with the things that mattered.  Hitching a ride from random
strangers, dealing with what may come, enjoying the slow pace of the world
when it's my two feet that carry me places, having a vagabond experience.

Verdick '05