[pct-l] White Pass to Snoqualmie Pass in Late September

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 10 13:09:03 CDT 2010

Mariann wrote:

I have the last week of September (Sept. 25th thru Oct. 3rd) off this year
and I am hoping to hike Section I in WA.  I'm worried about it being too
late in the year, however.  I would be taking my teenage daughters with me
and two pack horses, so I wouldn't want to get caught in too much snow.
Freezing nights would not be an issue, but I am unsure of how early major
snow storms can hit. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

That time of year is the swing season, changing from good weather to bad.
Sometimes you can have great weather; cool, clear, no bugs, no crowds.
Other times you can have miserable rainstorms or yes, even snow.  At the end
of September - beginning of October I'd probably give it 50%/50% chance
either way.  It just depends on the year.  The best advice I can give you is
to just study the weather forecasts right before you leave and have the
flexibility to alter or cancel your plans if it looks ugly.

Eric