[pct-l] Degree bag for thru hike?

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Wed Aug 11 16:28:07 CDT 2010

This is in response to the comment, " Not ultralight, but oh, so cozy."

As my son will heartily tell you, a comfortable night's sleep far surpasses the lightweight and cold bag. On our recent video tour to collect footage for our coming Snow Guide to the PCT, Captain Growler carried a very nice, zero-degree down mummy bag which we had used all winter for 30 nights without any cold spots (different sleeper). He is 6' 3" and 250 lbs and didn't really fit the bag.

After 17 days in the snows of May and early June, he chose to carry a much bigger and heavier zero-degree synthetic bag in which he slept much more comfortably and happier the rest of our 33 days out. The bag weighed about eight pounds and, if put inside his pack, was large enough, stuffed tight, to take up more than half of it! Strapped on the back, it looked ridiculous, but he was happy! (Keep in mind that at this point we were in shape and the added weight didn't matter much--we were already at almost 80 pounds, with camera gear and 12 day's worth of food)!

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
1106A Ski Run Blvd
South Lake Tahoe, Ca. 96150