[pct-l] Section O drying out

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Aug 11 17:20:08 CDT 2010

What I do not quite understand about your post is that you said you
were caught unaware that there was no water between Rock Creek and
Peavine Creek. According to the Data Book, there is no water between
Rock and Peavine and it's also only ~9 miles, so well within your
12-15 mile per day pace, even adding Lake Britton as your starting
point.

The Data Book also lists no on-trail water for about 30 miles after
that, however there are off-trail sources between Peavine and Deer
Creek within 1/2 mile of the trail. I do remember that in 2008 there
was a surprise on-trail spring within that 30 mile section and that
is probably what the thru-hiker you met was referring to when he said
"more sources" than expected. You could easily miss it if it wasn't
flowing well enough to leave a damp muddy spot across the trail as it
was tucked behind some brush.

It would appear that the real problem is relying upon information
from other hikers, especially anyone whose been out for a long
distance. While I was doing my distance hiking, I learned that
whenever someone asked me about water sources or miles to somewhere I
had to be extremely careful to add a lot of extra hours or miles to
the answer (because they walked slower and usually did not estimate
miles as precisely as I did after thousands of miles of practice).
When it came to water sources I sometimes had to ignore smaller or
less desirable water sources in my answers because people also were
not as tuned in to noticing small sources along the way, or else they
were not willing to drink from just any source. Also, thru-hikers can
walk 25 miles on 2 quarts of water and so if toward the end of the
day they pull into a source and can fill up the bottles again, they
will be of the opinion that there was plenty of water. It's best to
know your own body and ask for specific information about specific
sources than to rely on someone else's impressions about water
availability.

That Data Book, if you don't have one, really helps give you peace of
mind. You can drink that last sip of water knowing that in a few
miles there will be more. I would often go ahead and drink all my
water if it looked like the source after the next one was within reach.

Diane