[pct-l] Food at VVR and MTR

Melanie Clarke melaniekclarke at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 09:11:59 CDT 2010

Dear Diane,

I was not able to cross the San Joaquin and this was in August of a normal
to dry year.  I go light on the trail and only have my hiking shoes and a
cheap pair of flip flops to wear around camp and for water crossings.  I
even snubbed hiking poles (I have them now.)  Wallace and Tyndal creeks have
enough rocks to bridge the crossing.  There are a lot of large sharp rocks
on the stream bed so it would be difficult to negotiate your way in a pair
of flip flops and a 25lbs back pack, especially without poles to help keep
your balance.  If you want this experience I would take off your socks and
cross the river in your hiking shoes and use hiking poles to help keep your
balance.  My husband (I was married back then.) made it across and said it
was a disappointing mud hole with only naked men in there.

I recommend instead the numerous crystal clean alpine lakes which are very
refreshing after a long hot dusty hike in the middle of the day.  Even swift
rushing water will have side pools deep enough to swim.  I am a swimmer, I
have done the "Escape from Alcatraz" where participants swim across the Bay
from Alcatraz to the San Francisco (beach near the S.F Maritime Museum) so
there is enough pristine water up in the Sierras to make someone like me
happy!  I don't think a festering mud hole would be as nice but the naked
men might be worth the effort.

Melanie