[pct-l] Thru Hiker siting in Cascade Locks

Jensen Family (billsuej%40comcast.net) billsuej at comcast.net
Tue Aug 17 22:28:27 CDT 2010

Sunday Augst 14, 2010

Did a loop trip from Cascade Locks up the PCT to Benson Plateau and returned via Ruckel Creek.

Ran into a thru hiker named "Captain Obvious" at Teakettle Springs which is 7.8 trail miles from Cascade Locks.  He had somehow missed the Eagle Creek trail at Whatum Lake.  He is probably the only thru hiker I have met who has actually done this piece of the PCT (from Whatum to the Columbia River).  I knew from his appearance/smell that he had to be a thru hiker.  When I asked him where he started, he said "Mexico".  When I told him I was from the class of 77, I stole a little of his thunder.

Saw him again at the grocery store in Cascade Locks with his hiking partner, a guy from Israel who's name I did not catch.  Spent about 30 minutes chatting with them and having a few beers. They were going to have a shower, do some laundry, and then hike that evening after things cooled down.

Bill Jensen - PCT 77

aka Beer Town Bill