[pct-l] Bishop to Duck Pass

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu Aug 19 20:36:30 CDT 2010

I just came back from hiking between Bishop and Duck Pass. I hiked
Southbound. It was really nice to not have a lot of snow to deal
with. I think I stepped over only 3 patches of snow and one of those
patches was on Bishop Pass, not even on the PCT. Gratefully, all
those scary "one slip could be fatal" creek crossings were so mild I
didn't even notice them. Yay for hiking the High Sierra in August! If
I ever attempt a thru-hike I'm skipping the JMT section and saving it
for last.

Anyway, some observations:
1) JMT hikers carry HUGE ENORMOUS dangerously heavy packs. Some
people were so top-heavy their legs visibly shook from instability.
Some people's packs weren't big enough so they piled on day packs and
plastic garbage bags on top of their packs. But it appeared to me
that they think that is what backpacking ought to be and they
wouldn't have it any other way. More power to them. I couldn't hike
with half or more my body weight on top of me, that's for sure!

2) I missed the camaraderie of the trail that the PCT has. Even
hiking outside the normal thru-hiking schedule as I have done, the
PCT (where it was just the PCT) was full of section hikers and we
shared a special camaraderie. I didn't find that special camaraderie
on the JMT. It was kind of lonely.

3) You know you're not a thru-hiker when you get off the trail and
the first thing on your mind isn't food but a shower. And after the
shower you still aren't thinking about food.

4) I hiked in Chaco sandals. I have lingering foot problems from my
PCT hiking. I always had a nightly ritual of rubbing my sore feet. On
one of my longer days I settled into my tent to do my foot rub but my
feet did not hurt! There was no need to rub my feet.

5) In addition to my sandals I wore a skirt. Skirts are awesome! Just
like shorts except if you want to put on long johns you don't have to
undress first! My big fat thighs did not chafe because there's plenty
of ventilation. The only problem I had is that with the skirt and
sandals and my tiny pack, as I skipped up the trail, I think I
intimidated too many people. Hiking is supposed to be rugged,
dangerous and hard, right? And here comes this little fat lady
wearing a skirt and sandals and the next thing you know she's half a
mile of switchbacks ahead of you singing and skipping? Nobody wanted
to be my friend except for one lady named Little Foot who hiked
barefoot or in flip-flops.

Anyway, a toast to Steel-Eye as we have both finished the PCT! Now I
can get my patch.

Diane/Piper

Books I've written:
~ Piper's Flight
~ Adventure and Magic
~ Santa Barbara Hikes
http://stores.lulu.com/dianesoini

We're not here for a long time, but we are here for a good time