[pct-l] Weather considerations anytime/ a must read

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sun Aug 22 08:53:02 CDT 2010

Good morning, Miner,

Amen to your comments.  This summer in Quincy, CA I met an intended
thru-hiker who was off the trail for resupply, and he was asking some locals
where he could buy a blanket.  When I questioned him about that he said he
had recently sent his down bag home after several uncomfortably warm nights,
and now he had only a sheet.   Surprise, surprise – he was freezing his butt
off.

So, let me understand this:  He’s too hot so he uses a sheet instead of a
bag for a net weight savings of maybe 1.5-2.0 lbs.  When that doesn’t work
he buys a big, bulky, not-nearly-as-warm blanket that probably weighs over 3
lbs.

He’ll probably survive, but with very probable and foreseeable adverse
conditions he could easily have had to spend a night – or nights – either
hiking or hopping around and running in place to keep warm.  Is that
ultra-lite or ultra …. something else?   You make the call.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09