[pct-l] Making a trail budget

Austin Williams austinwilliams123 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 11:47:19 CDT 2010

$1-1.5 per mile for on-trail expenses seems awfully high to me.  But I guess
that depends on how much food you plan to buy along the way.  If you are
going to consider ALL food you eat on the trail as part of the on-trail
expenses, then that range of figures looks right.  But if you plan on buying
half or more of food ahead of time, and sending that food to yourself in
your resupply boxes, and NOT counting that food expense as part of your
on-trail expenses.... then that range of figures looks pretty high to me.

You might find it beneficial to look over the results of the thru-hiker
polls:

http://planyourhike.com/polls/

There are some questions on there about trip expense.  You can take the
total trip expense, subtract from that the amount you plan to spend on
gear/food/supplies before you leave on the trip, and that should give you a
decent estimate of the on-trail expense.

I hope it helps.

--
Austin Williams

www.PlanYourHike.com
Info on PCT gear, resupply points, maps, movies, etc.

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway."
-John Wayne