[pct-l] Warning to SPOT users who don't want to renew

Timothy Nye timpnye at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 14:23:17 CDT 2010

I carry a Spot and started the practice in order to allay my wife's concern
at the start of my thru-hike last year.  Now I, who used to spurn even a
cell phone, wouldn't be without one; not just for myself, but for others in
extremity that may be encountered on the trail.

With that said, users of Spot are aware that it contains 3 message buttons.
One of these is the 911 "send in the helicopter button" for seach and rescue
which hopefully is never used.  The other two are the "I'm OK" button,
usually sent every day; or, much less frequently, "I need help", of the
non-urgent variety sent to your support group only.
Thus, it is unlikely in the extreme that the automatic renewal is motivated
by any concern for the customer's welfare...the hiker and their loved
ones are well aware as to whether or not the Spot is working.  Every day a
message is routinely sent.  Additionally, those who purchase this device
(usually at the behest of those back home in order to calm their fears) are
aware that it is an annual fee and, further, it is almost always before the
hiking season leaving only a remote chance that a sudden interruption of
service will imperil someone.

However, any MBA running a company is always looking to both increase and
maintain a steady stream of revenues.  In my opinion, attributing the
automatic renewal even remotely to a sense of altrusim, even if such may be
asserted by the company, is naive.  I would also add that usually
calendaring for cancellation requires having to calendar a date twice.  I'd
wager that the majority of automatic renewals are unintended by the
customer, but that's just the cynicism of a 30 year trail attorney.