[pct-l] Snoqualmie Pass Trail Maintenance - September 3rd and 4th

Barry Teschlog tokencivilian at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 23 18:16:26 CDT 2010

Yes, those dates are correct.  Friday and Saturday of the 3 day weekend.  Some
folks who've previously volunteered in the greater Seattle area have expressed a
desire for mid week work parties, others have said they'd be available over the
3 day weekend, so what the heck, sounds to me like a good time for some PCT
work.  Why fight the crowds trying to get out of town when you can come out for
a relaxing and rewarding time helping to maintain the PCT.

These will be another 2 of the "informal" formal work parties similar to the
brushing from this last weekend.  Exact location is TBD, depending on PCTA &
Forest Service priorities.  The location will either be at the Ollalie Meadows
area a few trail miles south of Snoqualmie Pass OR to work on an area that the
Forest Service has identified a bit south of Stampede Pass that is in dire need
of brushing.  If Ollalie Meadows, the goal would be to finish up brushing at
least the uphill side of the trail to connect with a previously cleared part of
trail just to the north.  If in the Stampede Pass area, it will be on a 2 mile
stretch of the PCT that the FS has described as "...mostly tall, thick
huckleberry and associated fellow travellers [needing brushing] along with some
limbing on adjacent trees".

Tenative Dates and Times (Assuming the minimum of 3 person brush saw crew can be
assembled for each day):

Friday September 3.  Meet for paperwork a smidge before 8:00am.  Tool and safety
talk at 8:00.  Hike into the work site shortly thereafter.  Call it good for the
day by ~3:00 or so.

Saturday September 4.  Meet for paperwork a smidge before 8:00am.  Tool and
safety talk at 8:00.  Hike into the work site shortly thereafter.  Call it good
for the day by ~3:00 or so.

Please respond off list if you're interested in volunteering and for which
day(s) so the proper planning, paper work, etc can be done.  Either Suzanne W.
at the PCTA or I will send driving directions and further information to those
that would like to join these work parties.

Thanks for your consideration

Barry

"Give me a powerful saw, for I intend to go onto the brushiest section of
trail."
(A poor paraphrase of John Paul Jones quote).

"The brush is the enemy.  Wade into it.  Cut it down.  Toss it off the
trail.  When you see your best hiker friend, and they're soaked to the skin from
wet brush.....you'll know what to do."
(Another poor paraphrase, this time from Patton's opening speech).