[pct-l] Amanda L Silvestri

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu Aug 26 16:39:51 CDT 2010

On Aug 26, 2010, at 10:00 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:
> Ned & Diane
>
> I share you curiosity about increased ankle and foot strength
> resulting from a lifetime of going bear foot.  Have you seen the
> new show called Dual Survival?  One of the two survivalists goes
> around bear footed and has for years.  Better him than me, is all I
> have to say.  I am still a fan of high ankle support on my lighter
> weight boots.  The wilderness is no place to sprain or break an ankle.
>
> Shepherd

I have never seen the show. I think there is a good case for having
tough bare feet in that if you wake up in the middle of the night
with your house on fire it might be nice to be able to run out of the
house without having to find your shoes, especially if your shoes
have already burned up. Perhaps the same is true if a bear has eaten
your shoes and now he'd like to eat you, too.

I think there's a greater chance of twisting an ankle when a shoe has
a high platform or thick sole with an angular edge. A high top will
protect you from abrasion, but I don't think it will do a whole lot
to keep you from rolling over if the sole is thick and high.

I've never sprained or broken anything, not even when hit directly on
the ankle by a car, so all I can say is that ankle "support" has been
more damaging than helpful to me. Damaging mostly for me because of
the change in my gait and the problems caused when the footwear is
too stiff. I just feel a lot better when I can move normally. For
abrasion protection I will wear Dirty Girl gaiters or long pants.