[pct-l] cougar sightings north of santiam pass

Rachel Dysart rachel_dysart at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 27 10:59:39 CDT 2010

I've been following a few journals and I've read of encounters with a "huge
mountain lion"

From Freebird's journal:

"Half Brew mentioned that they had run into a huge mountain lion in northern
Oregon. It just sat there on the PCT and didn't budge when they both waved
sticks over their heads & yelled. SO Rosie & Half Brew decided to backtrack and
bushwhack around the big cat. After about 10 minutes of bushwhacking, to his
horror Half Brew heard Rosie (who was tailing him) yell out "BAD KITTY!!! BAD
KITTY!!!" and turned to see that the cougar had persued them into the woods.
They both retreated once again - back to the PCT and then hiked back to back
(Rosie in the back) for FIVE MILES into the night to get away from the cat. WOW.
Easily the best wildlife encounter on the trail this year as far as I know."

I read another account of the cougar stalking someone a few miles to a
trailhead.

- RD