[pct-l] Make Your Own Gear...Brilliant JMT Reinhold idea

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Wed Dec 1 18:33:00 CST 2010

Kathi,
For my JMT speed hikes, in quest of getting as UL as possible, I made my
own tent & pack which are lighter than anything on the market and are my
favorite gear for the kind of of hike they were designed for.
Most thru-hikers make their own alcohol stoves now-a-days.
Also, a few years ago, I attempted to make the absolutely, positively
lightest sleeping bag ever made out of plastic bubble wrap.
The concept appeared to be another  ''brilliant JMT Reinhold
idea''....air trapped in plastic bubbles for insulation at the absolute
minimal weight and retaining it's insulation even when wet.
It seemed to work OK in San Diego in the summer, but not so good in the
Sierra.
To make a long story short, I almost froze to death.

JMT Reinhold
Your brilliant  UL innovator