[pct-l] Hiking Alone & SPOT

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 2 21:10:01 CST 2010

Jim,

Yours was a good post. If that hiker had had a SPOT, a compass, and adequate
cold weather gear along he would still be alive. I, too, have always enjoyed the
experience of hiking alone - of being alone, and self-reliant, in wild places. I
rode most of the PCT solo, but not really alone. I had my horse, Primo, as a
close companion to share the experience. And he had me - I was the other
horse. I am not a risk taker either and am always careful to not put my
horse-friend at risk. We trust each other.

 I was glad to have a SPOT to send "I'm OK" messages every night from camp to my
wife, family,and friends. It certainly did give them peace of mind. And, if I
ever did have a real emergency they knew that I could press the 911 button.

Since I was riding a horse, and, like you, don't take unnecessary risks, I
always wore a riding helmet and also wore a knapsack containing everything that
I might need to survive an unexpected accident if I was ever separated from my
horse. (Aren't all accidents unexpected?). During my five months and 2000 miles
on the PCT I never once fell off my horse. But he did run off once in a panic
when we came upon llamas in Washington. I dismounted quickly when I first saw
them. I did have my well equipped knapsack on, including my SPOT. I was able to
track Primo down in about two miles - we were very glad to see each other.

MendoRider/Ed Anderson