[pct-l] bugs

Sean 'Miner' Nordeen sean at lifesadventures.net
Fri Dec 3 20:58:02 CST 2010

Yeah, north Yosemite is always bad in the spring and it continues off and on to at least Lake Tahoe.  Oregon can be bad if you are early enough or the melt off happens late.

While others wouldn't have been, I was pretty happy with just my tarp and bivy.  Many nights I just used a headnet over my cap to bed since the bugs often left after it got dark and the temps started to drop and only had to hide in my bivy from bugs a couple of times (think Yosemite).  Just be aware they come back at dawn; the first one to buzz my ear in the morning was always my alarm clock to get up and get moving before it was too late.  Those who go to bed earlier and get up latter then me might not have been happy with my system, but since I hike from dawn to dusk with big breaks during the day rather then hanging out in camp, it worked for me.