[pct-l] smartphone as GPS

AsABat asabat at 4jeffrey.net
Sat Dec 4 12:40:10 CST 2010

You're right! I turned off data and wifi (but didn't activate airplane mode) and it worked great. I was mislead by turning on just gps in my topo app and didn't realize that themselves flashing gps icon meant the gps did NOT have a signal.

So I don't understand he comments in other boards about android not ready for gps.

Backcountry Navigator on the Droid is faster and easier than my Garmin Oregon. I can load maps using wifi or 3g and can copy Halfmiles gps waypoints from a computer. Maps and aerial photos are free and the software only 9.99.
AsABat
PCT Water Reports SoCal http://pct.4jeffrey.net
Send water updates to water at 4jeffrey.net