[pct-l] Lone Pine vs Independance resupply:

Jared Slucter jared.slucter at gmail.com
Sun Dec 5 15:23:34 CST 2010

Since nobody has said anything about it yet, I must make a case for skipping
both Trail Pass and Kearsarge Pass. I hiked from Kennedy Meadows to VVR
(including the trip up Mt. Whitney) without resupply in the allegedly high
snow year last summer. I am not a fast hiker, nor a light eater, and at
first the food was really heavy. But I would do exactly the same thing
again. The chance to be out, without crossing a road or anything, for 12
days was wonderful. I will admit that the reason I did it was because I was
meeting a friend in Mammoth who had flown in from the east coast and I had
to hurry to meet him on time. So in addition to being logistically simpler,
skipping the resupply is certainly faster, in case that is a concern. I even
hiked with a couple who went straight from KM to Mammoth. When we got to the
turnoff for VVR, they decided they had enough food to just push on. You will
know what is right for you as you get closer to Kennedy Meadows, given your
appetite, attitude and any scheduling concerns you may have.

-Sneezes