[pct-l] Lone Pine vs Independance resupply:

gwschenk at socal.rr.com gwschenk at socal.rr.com
Mon Dec 6 09:13:58 CST 2010

An excellent summary.  Here's my two cents.

---- Ron Dye <chiefcowboy at verizon.net> wrote:

> Now, when you exit from KP you will be in Independence where there is not
> much of anything.  Reports I have heard on lodging are that it is adequate.

Ray's Den Motel in Independence is the best motel on the 395. Not the cheapest though, the Dow Villa is indeed a good stop.

> However, if you take a southbound hitch about 10-15 miles - and Highway 395
> is a well-travelled road - you find yourself in Lone Pine.  In Lone Pine,
> the best breakfast and lunch are at the Alabama Hills Café - they feed hiker
> portions to everyone all year around.  There is a Pizza Factory although I
> find his prices ridiculously high.  The Carousel Restaurant offers excellent
> asian cuisine and Seasons Restaurant is always good if you're looking for an
> upscale dining experience.

The spaghetti with tomato and basil sauce is not only the cheapest item on Season's menu, it is also the best item. Avoid the Mt. Whitney Restaurant.

> Elevations is an equipment store that has quality hiking gear, reasonable
> prices and on occasion, the owner has been known to give a 5% discount to
> PCT hikers!  This is an excellent place to replace anything that needs it
> without having to take a serious side-trip to Bishop which is 60 miles
> north.

I like Elevations a lot, it's hard to believe she can pack as much gear as she does into the small store.

> Most importantly, Joseph's Bi-Rite Market has been in business over 100
> years...

And some of the items on the shelf have been there almost as long. Always check the expiration dates, and don't buy the green meat!

Gary