[pct-l] down baffle designs...

Paul Robison paulrobisonhome at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 6 18:14:28 CST 2010

Holly...

Right !
the only real difference is,  most people make the baffle sidewalls out of a
mesh or bug netting, to save weight.   making the entire center section out of a
solid fabric provides durability (adds a couple ounces though!), and iwth the
right fabrics provides and effective vapour barier

when you make your bag, obviously it wont have an EN rating,  but you can
estimate warmth based on loft.   loft is the key to using insulation well
http://www.thru-hiker.com/projects/down_quilt.php
that link has a table for estimating warmth ...

...i went with 3.5 inches of loft,  which,  using the triangle baffles is REAL
easy to design...
here is mine, it has 3.5 inches of loft:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=65514

that is achieved by thinking of each baffle as a right triangle,   and the
baffles spacing at 12 inches...
so you have length A and C with marks every  6 inches top and bottom  (6 inches
mark top... 6 inches mark bottom, repeat)  so each side is a baffle 12 inches
wide and 3.5 inches high... then you use a calculator to calulate how long your
diagonal lines will be...  and mark the middle fabric sheet accordingly.

there is a slight problem in doing this though  you can end up with weird
numbers (like marking your middle fabric every 6.738 inches).   so i started
plugging in various numbers to see what came out nice and round...
i did 12 inch baffles ( two six inch langths) sewn into the center fabric every
6.75 inches  (a nice round number i could mark) and that gives you 3.1 inches of
inherent loft.  of course you get more actual loft cause the fabric isn't
rigid,  it fluffls like the diagram in the link you sent me.

if you look on my whiteblaze post my bag has at least 3.5 inches of loft on all
points with the dimensions above..   so pieces A and C are marked every 12
inches  (but staggerred halfway apart),  and piece B is made up of 14 increments
of 6.75 inches.

that gives you seven triangular baffles on each tide (top and bottom) on a 7
foot long quilt.   two pieces of 84 inches long ( A and C)  and piece B needs to
be 94.5 inches long.

see if you need it to be a bit warmer,  go for 12 inch baffles and 7 inch center
pieces...  that will give you 3.61 inches of initial loft (this is what our two
person quilt is).

let me know if i can clear any of this up.   if you're interested i can give a
summary on how we do draft tubes etc as well.

~Paul