[pct-l] Food Dehydrator Tips or Recipes?

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 18:25:53 CST 2010

I always carry a light open mesh bag for foraging, which I hang off the back
of my pack.  It does let the spores drift off in all directions, and is
great for dehydrating porcini on trail.  When they fruit it is usually in
great numbers, but only for a 2 or 3 week period in the fall, and they are
usually rotting all over the forest floor.  I simply pick and slice more
than for my dinner that day, and leave some in the mesh to dry.  Porcini are
sold as "dried Italian mushrooms" for a horrific price, and young buttons in
season can go for as much as $80 per lb in gourmet markets.  We feasted off
them in WA this year, and all the folks hiking with me carried a stick of
butter to fry them in at night.  They are just delicious, and when they come
in, not even the pigs and deer can keep up with the bounty.

Shroomer