[pct-l] Ice Axe

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 23:43:22 CST 2010

I agree Gary, the Camp Corsa looks a bit more like a real ice axe, but at 5
oz for the ULA and 7 for the Camp Corsa, neither has the weight to be a
"real ice axe."  Cutting steps in ice requires a heavier axe in my opinion,
and my old one is much heavier than either of these.  That being said, on my
thru hike I did not bring that old cutting tool as I didn't want to carry
it.  I bought the ULA Helix at Kick Off, and it worked just fine over the
High Sierra.  We had lots of snow, but always managed to time our passes in
late morning so their had been some softening, or even later.  Smiles used
it to cut steps up the cornice on Mather which was harder, and then it was
the anchor for us on top as we hauled the rest of our bunch over the top.
On steep slopes, I used it many times for the uphill anchor.  It also worked
well as the brake when glissading.  It was used over 4 or 5 weeks in the
Sierra, and I had no complaints given the conditions we encountered.

Had we gotten some real melt and freeze conditions, it might have been a
different story.  I don't think the shaft would have been nearly strong
enough to punch through days and days of heavy ice, and trying to cut steps
with that light head would have been tough.  Would I use it again?  On a
thru hike, you bet.  It is a bit of a gamble, but so is alot of the gear we
use as thru hikers.  The light pack is worth using some iffy gear at times.
My only regret is that after Sonora Pass I was carrying it to Echo to give
to my wife who was going to meet us there, but I left it standing by a tree
in a hail storm, a few miles north of ebbets Pass.  If anyone found a
lovely, light ULA Helix standing forlornly against a tree in this location,
I'll pay shipping to get it back.

So Ned, give us some ice axe wisdom from the more traditional side.

Shroomer