[pct-l] Calif Section N at end of March/early April??

greg mushial gmushial at gmdr.com
Thu Dec 9 14:03:43 CST 2010

> Message: 4
> Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 16:56:41 -0800
> From: "Deems" <losthiker at sisqtel.net>
> Subject: [pct-l]  Calif Section N at end of March/early April??
> To: "pct" <pct-l at backcountry.net>
>
> I agree that Georgi Firefly in Old Station would know first hand in
> March/April 2011 if you can hike it.  It is a desert type section with no
> water, possibly sitting in a snow shadow, and can't be compared to trail
> sections only a few miles north or south of it with snow levels.

That's what I was thinking (snow shadow), ie, there have been times I've
gone to LavaBedsNM via 44 and 89 and when passing Lassen there was 5' snow
walls along the road, but by the time I got to LBNM, yes it was chilly
(15F), but no whitestuff on the ground...  and noting that LB is essentially
directly "behind" HCR (and the same elevation as Lassen, where the HCR is 2k
ft lower)..  and wondering if one might find that same effect along the HCR
in late March or early April.