[pct-l] stoves?

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Fri Dec 10 10:24:07 CST 2010

Good morning, Kevin,

If the typical hiker’s alcohol stove is inadvertently tipped over by Sir
Klutzalot 1-2 ounces of soon-to-be-wildly-burning fuel will be spread across
the ground and will be difficult to extinguish.  A canister stove will
likely continue to burn if tipped, but the fuel flow remains under control
resulting in a much smaller ground fire.  I don’t know of any instances
where a canister actually exploded, but if it remained within an
uncontrolled ground fire I suppose it could burst .

The risk of a hiker starting a wildland fire with his/her stove is real, and
it occurs with unacceptable regularity.  When faced with hiking S.
California during several brutally dry seasons my personal choice was to
eschew a stove entirely in favor of no-cook foods.  As a result I not only
eliminated the chance of my starting a wildland fire, I also significantly
reduced my gear weight and I avoided having to spend time setting up,
cooking, and – important to me – cleaning out a messy pot.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09