[pct-l] My Gear List - Need Some Experienced Thoughts

Paul Robison paulrobisonhome at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 10 15:58:36 CST 2010

i'm not the most experienced hiker on earth...
but i have a good amount of experience hiking and a 10.5lb base-weight.

but you weigh your baseweight different than most AT hikers...  you are
including things like 4 ounces of HEEt, which is usually consumable and not part
of baseweight.

only things i could change is ...  you use the ULA helix axe, but real
crampons?  19 ounces?

6 ounces for a potty trowel is a lot... stainless steel?   plastic works! ; )

i'm amazed you got the panasonic lumix at 14+ ounces...  how many batteries?
holy moley.

with the MSR titan kettle why bring a titanium cup?  if you really want a cup,
you can bring a dixie cup and replace as desired.

are you planning on bringing the Z lite AND a neo-air ?

maybe save an ounce not using a platypus, but you're splitting hairs at that
point.

i don't think you could possibly need montbell down inner pants AND the ibex
longjohns.  on that note, i love my merino wool, wear it lots;  but capilene 3
is warmer for the weight.

with the ibex crew top AND capilene 1 top AND wiked light shirt... i think you
could easily ditch the capilene or the wool.

all in all though, i think you've made some very daring choices in the name of
being lightweight, and i am sure it will pay off.  the only ting weighing you
down (literally) is too much clothing imho, and 2 sleep pads,  plus you're
including crampons and ice axe.
Where are you from?  you seem afraid of being cold.

best of luck,  this is just one opinion of many i'm sure, to each their own.
~Paul