[pct-l] My Gear List - Need Some Experienced Thoughts

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Dec 10 20:28:16 CST 2010

John,
You could reduce your pack weight with some purchases. But you can do
a lot more otherwise.

You could refrain from bringing more than one of some items (a neo
air and a z-rest? Just bring one or the other. So what if the neo air
fails. You can survive a night or two with a flat air mattress and
get a cheap blue foam one in the next town or have someone send the z-
rest to you. I swear you WILL survive. You WILL sleep.)

You also have way too many clothes. You don't need so many underwear
layers and briefs and so many hats and gloves and layers upon layers
of warm stuff. You don't need wind and rain pants. Rain pants block
wind. You really have way too many clothes. Way too many. You should
be able to wear everything all at once without looking like the
Michelen Man, without any duplicates.

Ditch the soap or take only enough for one washing. Wash things only
with plain water until you get to town. Only carry soap for those
parts of the trail where the next shower isn't going to have any soap
available.

Ditch the shovel. Use a rock or stick to dig a hole. The earth is
really soft just about everywhere along the trail so long as you go
away from impacted areas. A nice flat rock with a sharp edge works
better than any shovel and I swear they tend to appear just when you
need them.

Don't carry stuff like fingernail clippers. Put those in your bounce
bucket. Bring a small nail file (paper emory board, not a heavy metal
or glass file) for fingernail emergencies. This goes for any item
used only periodically.

After this, you can further reduce pack weight by going through each
individual item and really looking at it closely to determine if
there is *anything* you can do to reduce its weight. Can you replace
the lid on your pot with something lighter (I did and have the same
pot as you)? Can you take a smaller container of something (like
super tiny, like start collecting little tiny smaller than airplane
sized little containers, go through your medicine cabinet, nab stuff
out of the eye-care section of the drug store, etc)? Can you cut off
parts of something that aren't really useful? Does everything really
have to be in a stuff sack (if you are using them)? Can you make your
own gear that is lighter and does the job (for example, the ear
warmers, can you just use a tube-shaped piece of fleece around your
head?) I swear you can save a lot of weight doing this. I managed to
reduce my pack weight between 2008 and 2009 by 9lbs by being ruthless
with the little things.

I swear you will not be uncomfortable, cold or unsafe if you follow
these guidelines. It is not safe, warm or comfortable to stagger
under tons of unworn clothes, and it's not going to put your life at
risk to use foil for a lid or little tiny bottles to hold your
hygiene products. People will tell you that it is risky right after I
post this because that seems to be their mission in life, but I can
assure you that it is safe and sane.

Take what you like from my advice and leave the rest. I'm not
interested in any justifications for why you need this or that. It's
not my business. I'm only offering guidelines and places for you to
start asking yourself questions.

Enjoy your hike,

Diane