[pct-l] Ultra light Ice Ax/Crampons Alternatives

mntmn4jesus at aol.com mntmn4jesus at aol.com
Sat Dec 11 11:18:36 CST 2010

I also have a Black Diamond Whippet in addition to my classic Arc Lite.  I have used the Whippet
to self arrest while back country skiing.  It all depends on the severity of the terrain and the volume you
expect to encounter as to whether or not you need a traditional ice ax.  The Black Diamond Whippet
can easily replace one of your trekking poles which I always use winter or summer.

To just get by in a couple of challenging situations, the Whippet and Khaatoola microspikes
(Mini-crampons) are superior for 80% of what I do in the Sierras because they have multiple uses and
weigh much less then my Arc Light Ice Ax and Standard Grivel Crampons I use for serious
mountaineering applications.  I know many individuals (I am not one of them) who used Khaatoola
microspikes instead of crampons to climb Mt. Shasta and they are quite happy with carrying much less
weight on their feet.  I personally don't advise, but that gives you an idea of their capabilities.

 I always have micro-spikes with me even in summer if there is small chance I might run into ice or
 snow in the high country.  They weigh less then a pound (13 ounces) for a pair and securely fit
 on any type of boots/shoes.  They have strong durability and they stay on your boots with few
if any adjustments (if you put them on correctly).

They are ideal in intermittent snow conditions where you don't want to ruin a good set of crampons.
You can leave them on when you are walking on dry ground and even provide some additional
traction when you are climbing on ice covered rock.  I don't advise the cheaper alternative Yaktrax.
They do not provide near as good of traction and they will not stand up to the rigorous use
on the PCT trail for miles upon miles.  I know one local lady, who is an avid day hiker, and her Yaktrax
didn't even make it through one season.

Jim

Message: 13