[pct-l] stoves?

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Sun Dec 12 13:45:01 CST 2010

> My question, however was intended to count the number of fires
> actually started by Alcohol Stoves. I get suspicious when I see
> general opinion thrown around as fact.

I believe (but I'm not 100% sure) that the fire between the Mesa wind farm and Whitewater in 2004 was caused by an alcohol stove.  Pictures of this fire are on the 2004 PCT DVD.

Here is a news story: http://www.pe.com/localnews/desertpass/stories/PE_News_Local_dcanyon14.5840b.html

It says the fire was started by a stove but doesn't mention what kind.

I think it goes without saying that any stove can start a fire in these sorts of conditions.

That same articles mentions the smaller fire started in the same area just a few days earlier, which was caused by a hiker burning their toilet paper.

Radar