[pct-l] Stove Fires

Greg Mikol greg.mikol at ieee.org
Sun Dec 12 13:48:08 CST 2010

Paul Robison wrote:

> Ken,
>
> this information is out of date.
>
> there are new requirements from 2010 hat put canisters in the hazmat qual. not
> an ORMD any longer.
> for ups this gives them a 38$ minnimum surcharge. not sure about other
> carriers.  also means they can no longer go 'priority' class, though i believe
> first class is still an option.
>
> ~Paul
> (i'm a former hazmat auditor for UPS)

Paul (and everyone else out there)--

IMO, UPS has always been more strict with regards to hazmat compared to
USPS. Canisters have always been prohibited from USPS Priority
(certainly from 2005 when I did this research for my first PCT section).
Nothing on the Postal Service website indicates a change in policy from
then 'til now with regards to fuel canisters.

Their online version of Publication 52, "Hazardous, Restricted, and
Perishable Mail", last revised 11 March 2010, has the following entries
in Appendix A:

Butane, butane mixtures and mixtures having similar properties in
cartridges each not exceeding 500 grams: see Receptacles, etc.

Receptacles, small, containing gas (gas cartridges) flammable, without
release device, not refillable and not exceeding 1 L capacity
    Hazard Class: 2.1
    ID Number: UN2037
    DOT Packing Group: n/a
    USPS Mailability: Only ORM–D
    Domestic Mail Air Packaging Instruction: Prohibited
    Domestic Mail Surface Pkg. Inst: 2A

Other parts of the publication describes these terms and the specific
requirements.

Until the publication changes, AFAIK, it is and will continue to be
legal to ship butane/isobutane/propane type stove canisters via surface
mail (not priority since it may travel by air). Package should be
clearly marked "ORM-D  Consumer Commodity   Surface Mail Only". And be
sure to print out the relevant sections from Pub. 52 to take with you to
the PO for shipping...not all PO employees are aware of these
regulations, in my experience.

--Greg