[pct-l] about potty trowels,

Paul Robison paulrobisonhome at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 12 16:52:00 CST 2010

lots of talk going around about potty trowels, some of it not completely
respectful.

My opinion,  i think we all need to keep the trail clean.  a trowel does a good
job digging a hole,  as does a tent stake (but much more slowly).

the montbell handy scoop weighs under 2 ounces.  i'm ordering it, i'm useing an
oldschool one currently.

wether you use a stick, a rock, a tent stake, or a dedicated trowel ...  the
idea is to get plenty of dirt on top of all your poop.  4 inches or so on top of
your poop.

personally, i carry the trowel because a tent stake just doesn't do if i get hit
with a case of the squirts,  the trowel leaves a nice vertical wall and a nice
square hole plenty deep to hide any evidence.

i have seen lots on the AT poop that has made it's way back to sirface by those
shallow holes created by boots and sticks.  if you're going to use your boot, at
least try and do a good job, and i think that's the problem,  some people are
lazy about it.  i personally don't know how you could possibly get a deep enough
hole with running shoes...  my holes would go up to my ankle, so obviously a
boot won't do for me.  i do think we need to have enough depth to cover it and
stomp on it so it wont find it's way back to surface.

respect to all,  but whatever you do,  keep the trail nice for next generation
when there's 20,000 thru hikers and not 300.