[pct-l] The cigarette fire on San Jacinto

Matthew Edwards Hetchhetchyman at aol.com
Sun Dec 12 20:47:04 CST 2010

That fire on San jacinto in 2009.
There is a video of that fire out there somewhere.
The hikers that filmed it came upon this smouldering log.
It is not supposed to be a funny subject but what happens next
in the video was kinda funny...

So this couple is filming the smoulder log. In a panicked voice
she says: "Hurry.. put it out!"
You see the guy run over and dump the last two drops of
water in his bottle on the smoking log with no effect!
Then he starts kicking dirt on it.
Then you see his girlfriend start flicking dirt on it
with the tip of her trekking poles.. with no effect!
Just as the video ends you hear her say..."Pee on it!"

That video was made by Frank and Double Barrel back in 2009.
I'm pretty sure that must be the fire started by the cigarette you are describing.
Luckily they got there just in time and eventually put it out.
In their video there was that super dense smoke coming from the log..
the kind you get right before ignition. It is a miracle they happened upon it right
when they did.
The real question is how folks can smoke those things on the trail?
I knew a lot of hikers that did and it always amazed me.
I am such a crispy old dude i can barely get enough air as it is!