[pct-l] Entry into Canada

David Thibault dthibaul07 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 12 21:20:33 CST 2010

 The form you get via the link on the PCTA is from the Canadian Government
to enter Canada from the PCT. This is a Canadian Government Form -  the US
Government does not really care about it and is probably not even aware of
it.

On reentry to the US, all the US government wants to know is if you are a US
citizen.  If you can prove this easily (i.e. a passport) they make reentry
easier. If you can't prove your citizenship easily they generally make life
difficult for you - but the good side is if you are a US citizen they
eventually have to let you back in  - they just make you pay for not being
able to prove it by making your reentry difficult.

US PCT hikers should be aware that we are very lucky that the Canadian
Government allows us to enter their country via the PCT with just applying
for this simple form.  The US government does not allow even US citizens to
enter the US from Canada on the PCT.

You will probably never need the form you get from the Canadian Government
as there is noone around when you cross into Canada and the US doesn't
really care how you got to Canada.  But if you are stopped in Canada the
form shows that you legally entered the country.

Please get the form as I'd hate to see the Canadian Government ever get as
bad as the US government on this issue of entry via the PCT.

By the way I purposely backtracked a couple of steps back into the US at
monument 78  just to thumb my nose at the US government for not letting me
enter via the PCT.

Day-Late