[pct-l] all those 'extras'

Paul Robison paulrobisonhome at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 13 18:13:26 CST 2010

i feel really discouraged about weight...
... i make my list, i weigh my gear, i say 'wow i'm down to X number of ounces'.

so this weekend my wife and i packed for our trip.  we said  'if we left
tomorrow, what would be bring'...

...then it start growing... and growing... and sun screen... and a packtowel...
and growing... and first aid... and toothpaste... and stove fuel...and the
camera!

by the time it was all said and done our shared 22 lbs baseweight (11 per) was
up to almost 30 lbs  (15 per/ person) !

then comes the ten liters of water (5 each)  the 12 lbs of food  (4 days
worth)...

now we sit, staring at 53 pounds of stuff,  and i go 'oh, and i forgot this T
shirt!'

Does anyone else do this?   really makes me reconsider what weight to shoot for
for training.
has anyone else done a shakedown trip, or at least a complete pack out, where
you pile all your gear and say 'okay this is it,   no more gear, no more
spending money' ...  if you have,  how far from your base weight were you, by
the time you threw in sunblock, fuel, etc. etc.
?

~Paul