[pct-l] food strategy,

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 13 21:15:34 CST 2010

Hi Paul,
I really appreciate that you posted Echo's spread sheet. From it I have learned
of several foods that I will be adding to my menu for my next year's PCT ride. I
always purchase all of my food and the processed food for my horse prior to
starting. This was my approach both in 2008 and 2009. For my 2011 PCT journey
SOBO from Sierra City to Horseshoe meadows I will have packed seven
resupply boxes and one large white bucket by about a week before leaving to
drive north to S.City. Two of the boxes will have been sent via USPS - one to
the Cedar Grove Visitor Center and the other to the Toulumne Meadows Post Office
- the bucket will be sent to the Muir Trail Ranch. One box will hold what I will
pack when I start from Sierra City. I will cache the other four boxes within 1/2
mile of trail-heads that I will pass on my way north. I will camp at three of
those. Because of the Bear Canister requirement I will start from S.City with
three bear canisters, two for horse feed and one for my food. Then I will repack
when I arrive at each of my planned resupply locations. Since I will be taking
my time on this very beautiful 500 miles of the PCT, I plan to add fresh trout
and wild plants that I am familiar with to my diet.

Here are a few things that you might consider asking Echo to check out and
possibly add to her spreadsheet:  Nature Valley Sweet and Salty Nut (delicious
and 141.67 calories per ounce); walnuts (196 calories per ounce); Nido powdered
whole milk; Nonni's Biscotti crunchy almond chocolate cookie ( 160 calories and
sinfully addictive); Swiss Miss Dark Chocolate Sensation (150 calories).

Thanks again for posting Echo's spread sheet.

MendoRider