[pct-l] Hitch-hiking

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 12:35:59 CST 2010

Hitching wasn't too much of a problem accept for Steven's Pass, where I
stood in a cold drizzling rain for quite a while becoming hypothermic,
getting out of the lava and into Sisters Oregon, where I gave up after an
hour as I really didn't need the zero, and Tuolumne Meadows trying to get
down to "The Mobil" for dinner.  Several of our party made it down, but
Smiles and I waited and waited and waited, and finally gave up and had pack
food that evening.  We were teased unmercifully by our com-padres who made
the hitch, and had a great meal.  They told us they were treated to dinner
by the trail angels who picked them up in the first place.  Cold shot, and
probably a lie.

If you're not familiar with the Sierra yet, or Hwy 395, which runs down the
length of the range on the east side, the Mobile gas station is one of the
places it's worth getting off trail to eat, even though you've just picked
up a mail drop at Tuolumne.  It's a small restaurant and store at the Mobile
gas station at the corner of Tioga Pass rd. and Hwy 395 just south of Lee
Vining.  Foody friends in the Bay area tell me that the proprieter is an ex
chef from Chez Panisse in Berkeley.  I don't know if that's true, but the
food is fabulous, and the view of Mono Lake, gorgeous.  It's more pricey
than a burger joint, which it used to be, but you ain't getting just a
burger here.  Anytime I get near, I make a run down the mountain to eat
there.  Part of the fun is just getting such great food at a gas station
mini mart and standing in line with stinky hikers, that would be you and me,
and folks who have just driven up from Mammoth, or sometimes down from Tahoe
simply to eat there.

>From start to finish, the trail angels are amazing, but the trail north of
Truckee, all the way up to Firefly's home at Old Station, became known at
the land of the trail angels, as there were so many official, and unofficial
trail angels up there, such as Piper's Mom and the Williams' at Buck's Lake,
who will give you a lift, clean you up and often feed you, or get you to
good food.  Several times when crossing a paved or even dirt forest service
road we came upon notes with tel. numbers to call for a pick up.  Simply
marvelous people.  Two guys I later hiked with, said that this section of
trail had restored their faith in humanity.   If you're just blasting
through they will slow you down, but if you have the time to enjoy the
incredible hospitality, the trail angel experience is right up there with
the trail itself in terms of wonderful.  And please leave a tip or something
to help keep them going.

The potentially bad hitch into Etna, due to so little traffic, was solved
for us as Max Chill's parents had driven out from Minn. to meet their trail
weary son and his dirty friends.  His mom made several trips into town to
get us all there, and later took us back to trail.  Incredible folks, but
sorely disappointed that Mango was not with us at that point, as they had
been following his journals and wanted to meet him.  Most of the trail
angels followed several journals and loved getting news from us first hand
about their favorite journalers.

At Siskiyou Pass we had breakfast at Callaghan's resort where we met
Hummingbird who had just finished her first 60 mile day up from the Klammath
valley.  The hitch out of the parking lot is potentially bad and the
waitress took such an interest in our stories, or maybe just to get the odor
out of the place, that she offered to give us all a lift into Ashland.  The
breakfast business picked up and she was not able to get away, so the owner
of the resort piled us all into the resort van and drove us himself.  Wow,
patronize this place!  The waitress later caught up with us in downtown
Ashland and bought us each a beer.  You simply meet the most marvelous
people being a thru hiker.

I agree with what's been said earlier, shmooze up the day hikers you meet
even though they smell funny and perfumey,  and set up your rides before you
get to the trail head whenever you can.  People who care about hiking are
often just pleased to help out, simply to be part of the experience
themselves.

Shroomer