[pct-l] Fitness

Paul Bodnar paulbodnar at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 17 15:21:46 CST 2010

 Myself and Ant are walking it in 2011 and I'd be keen to hear any tips on getting the bode ready. We've been tramping (Kiwi for hiking) a bit and doing the odd run but that's about it....

> Many thanks
> Bee :)

It sounds like you are already on your way to a successful thru hike.

I recommend hiking trips with the equipment you plan on using.  However day hikes with your pack and equipment can help too.  By actually hiking with your equipment you develop a better relationship with your gear.  You actually feel your gear choices on your back.

I did a series of training hikes for my 2010 thru hike and it helped a lot.  Even though I thru hiked before, I knew I could learn more about my gear by doing some conditioning hikes.  I refined my gear and got in better shape.  I completed the PCT for the second time.  So I might be doing something right :)

Good luck,

Paul

Hikethru.com