[pct-l] DC Area Hikers/Parental Concerns

Paul Robison paulrobisonhome at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 17 16:50:14 CST 2010

diane:  LOL awesome.
... with that said, Chris, will you be my hiking partner ?  tell them i'm a
Medical professional who is highly trained in bushcraft skills... and has hiked
the PCT one hundred and thirty seven times.  It will make them feel much better
; )

...on a serious note, however,  i think showing them how many people do it, and
explaining to them that it is a very social experience should help put their
mind at ease.   but something else you can do is seriously study up on
bushcrafting,  learning to make fire,  learning about wild edibles,  anything
like that;  to show them you are taking it seriously, and there is very little
actual risk involved.  sure you could fall off fuller ridge and die,  but if you
fell down the stairs of a tall building a similar outcome is possible...
Mankind survived thousands of years as nomads;  and with less education than you
have ... a little extra education in the right places should go a long way in
convincing your family you'rei n no danger  (even if you never actually need the
skills you learn)

... goodluck and i'll see you out there !
~Paul