[pct-l] Why hike for so long?

Rod Belshee rbelshee at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 18 10:42:30 CST 2010

There are lots of nominal reasons I have heard:

    Love Nature
    See Wildlife
    Experience the Wilderness
    Personal challenge
    Reflection
    Camaraderie
    Seeking Solitude and Personal Growth
    Outdoor Photographer
    Outdoor Writer
    Hiking with buddies
    Bragging rights
    Laid-off and idle
    Broken-hearted and direction-less

But really I just know you want to do it, not why.

Hence Yogi's answer is right.  My reason for hiking is not in my brain but
is in my heart, so I can't put into words. I am unable to communicate it to
others who do not already understand it at an experiential level.  Perhaps
it is best to defer to Muir or others who can put such things into words.
Or just hold that inner feeling in your heart, think of the trail, and let
your eyes and face answer for you while remaining silent.

Steady