[pct-l] Fitness

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Sat Dec 18 11:06:45 CST 2010

On Dec 18, 2010, at 11:42 AM, Scott Williams wrote:

> I did the same, starting with a light pack and upping the lbs as April
> approached, and hiking between 12 and 20 miles.  When I began the trail
> however I backed off and did only 10 mile days the first week, 15 the
> second, and hit my first 20 mile day in the third.  I'm older, and prone to
> overdo it when the endorphins kick in, and I didn't want to start off with
> an injury.  Three older folks I hiked with later had begun at 20 mile days,
> and had quickly spent time healing overuse injuries.

For anyone in the southeast, you might consider hiking for a couple weeks
on the Appalachian Trail.  Before my 2004 PCT hike I hiked from Springer
Mountain to just past the Smokies.  Travel logistics can be tricky if you
don't have someone in the area to help though.

There are lots of folks on the AT starting from March 1st on so it is
quite easy to get two to six seeks of hiking in before heading out to the
PCT.

On the AT it is much easier to hike short days.  Water and resupply are
more accessible and you'll have a chance to try out your gear, especially
your bad-weather gear.  I had sun, rain, and snow during this warm-up
hike.

Radar