[pct-l] Mattress patches

Robert E. Riess robert.riess at cox.net
Sat Dec 18 17:08:43 CST 2010

Has anybody tried using Skabs by Slime to patch an inflatable mattress?  They are peel and stick preglued instant patches 1 inch in diameter.  You get 6 of them for under 2 bucks in the bike section at Wal-Mart.  They weigh less and cost less than a postage stamp.  I fixed a 65 psi inner tube on my bike and the patch is holding up just fine.  I stuck one on a Thermorest without a puncture to test the durability of the patch.  I gave it some pretty rough treatment and it has stayed tenaciously in place.  I cannot lift this patch off the Thermorest.  I did find a review of the product that basically said it was a temporary patch at best, but this was for bike inner tubes that are rated at up to 110 psi and have to stretch as well as constantly  flex under a heavy load.   A Skab would probably patch a small hole in a rain fly, tent,  jacket or water bladder as well.  I will be carrying 6 Skabs and a 2 inch piece of emory cloth, total wt less than a dollar bill.

Good luck to the Class of 2011.  Bob Riess at the Trailhead

Liberals love humanity in the abstract, but hate people, especially those who disagree or refuse to submit.